Thursday, July 9, 2009

Reconsidering Nikolai Zherdev

By Glen Miller

I tend to be a very stubborn guy typically, one who has trouble reconsidering my opinion once I feel strongly enough about something to have one. Imagine my surprise as that is precisely what I’ve found myself doing over the last couple of days; I’m reconsidering my take on Nik Zherdev. As recently as 3 days ago I was ready to watch Little Nikky leave town with his tail tucked firmly between his legs. Now I’m not so sure.

It’s not like I’ve had a sudden epiphany or revelation about the guy. God did not reach down from the heavens to smack me in the back of the head in order to convince me that I was wrong about Zherdev. No, I actually just looked at the numbers. Several of these numbers stuck out. These numbers cry out for me to forgive Nik Zherdev his transgressions and to allow him back into my heart and back onto the ice as a member of the New York Rangers next season.

I realize that after watching Zherdev tease us with his skill early on last season only to thoroughly disappoint us with his lackluster playoff performance that this opinion won’t be too popular among Rangers fans. Most Rangers fans, originally excited about adding such a talented forward from the Blue Jackets for only the cost of a couple of our “depth” defensemen, would gladly take that trade back. While we grew frustrated watching Zherdev mix in a dominating performance amongst several contests in which he was virtually invisible, Fedor Tyutin played a key role for the first Blue Jackets team to ever qualify for the postseason.

After seeing our beloved Rangers sneak out to a stunning 3 games to 1 advantage over the favored Capitals in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs we allowed ourselves to be fooled into thinking we were a legitimate cup contender. Following the humiliating series defeat, we were looking for what went wrong. Zherdev, who dazzled all of us with a Conn Smythe Trophy worthy performance (can you sense the sarcasm) of ZERO playoff points, became a natural target of our anger.

Zherdev and his agent have done his image no favors by apparently not responding to a number of attempts by Ranger GM Glen Sather to touch base. Now he has the audacity to take us to salary arbitration with the figure of $4.5 million annually floating about as his requested salary. Really?!?!?! It’s no wonder that Sather is thought to be considering walking away from Nik if the arbitrator awards him a figure surpassing last year’s salary of $3.25 million. Who can blame Ranger’s fans for wanting to chase Zherdev’s sorry butt of Manhattan. Cue the mob and light the torches people!!!

Is there any reason to even consider bringing this stiff back?? Well….yes, yes there is and here’s an argument for Ranger fans to exercise some patience with Nik.

Fact: Nik Zherdev has played 5 seasons in the NHL.

Fact: Nik Zherdev has recorded 3 seasons with at least 23 goals.

Fact: Only one Ranger recorded more than 23 goals last year, Markus Naslund, while earning $4 million for doing so and then retiring after the season ended.

Fact: Nik Zherdev has recorded 3 seasons in which he has scored at least 54 points including last season in which he scored 58 points

Fact: Scott Gomez earned more than $7.3 million (cap hit) and scored the same 58 points that Zherdev did.

Fact: Chris Drury finished the season with 56 points while missing just one game and was rewarded with just over $7 million (cap hit, not actual salary) last season.

Fact: Rangers golden boys, Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky, have combined for exactly one season of 20+ goals (Callahan’s 22 last season) and no seasons of 50+ points in 4 full seasons between them.

Fact: Nik Zherdev is JUST 24 YEARS OLD.

That last fact is the most important when considering Zherdev. I remember how I was at 24; not exactly the King of Maturity. At 32, I can look back on those days and realize how much I have grown in that time. I think we need to give Zherdev a chance to grow and mature like we all did. Give him a full season with Tortorella pushing his buttons. Maybe Torts can push the right one and the Nik Zherdev that has 40 goal-scorer ability comes out.

We were crying out for more offense last season. The lack of goal scoring ability is what prompted Sather to dump Gomez and use the cap savings to sign oft-injured, goal scoring machine Marian Gaborik to a monster deal. Most fans look at the roster as it sits now and still don’t believe we have enough goal-scoring to contend.

So wouldn’t it make sense for us Rangers fans to let last season go, to forgive Zherdev his immaturity and lackluster efforts? Maybe, just maybe he matures into the 40 goal machine that we know he is capable of. If he does then maybe we have a deep playoff run in us this year.

Hey, I was in the majority just a few days ago. I was ready to run Zherdev out of New York and all the way back to Russia or Edmonton or anywhere that would have taken him. Maybe desperation is what has caused me to reconsider. Desperation at not having won a cup in 15 years and knowing that unless some of our young players really step up, we are going to extend that drought to 16 years. Nik Zherdev is the kind of player that can spur that type of improvement. Please, my fellow Ranger fans, let’s give the kid another shot.

5 comments:

Rob Malone said...

Good to see a Rangers fan here. Between you and Justin, you guys are going to have some great hockey talk here. I was definitely a little shy about brining Zherdev back, however, you do make some great points here. Now that we have Kotalik though, it's going to be interesting to see what Sather does. Great read, nonetheless.

-Rob

NYR11 said...

nice read, glen...great pick-up for the site justin. the two of you will work well together it seems.

glen miller said...

Thanks Rob and NYR11. I am looking forward to developing a friendly rivalry with Justin and the other Isles fans. It's too bad for them that it isn't a more competitive rivalry. (Ouch, low blow, I know). I hope to see you guys commenting on all of my posts. As Justin said, I will post non-Rangers stuff too.

As for Zherdev, with the Kotalik signing, he is a goner. There is no way to keep him unless Sather finds a user for Rozsival.

Mess11 said...

It's really sad, Glen. After reading your article, it really convinced me that the Rangers may bring back Zherdev. He is twice the player that Kotalik is, so I dont know what Sather is thinking. Plus, it takes away time from younger players. Kotalik is 30!

Lundy12 said...

well-written, Glen. With Kotalik now, I think it may be bye-bye Zherdev though. Good to see a Rangers flavor around here.