Monday, July 7, 2008

***Breaking Rumor***

Now I am not one to usually report rumors, as they rarely ever come to fruition and you pass along false information. However, being in this hockey-crazed time of year, I will do so. I have spoken with a close friend of mine who has heard that the Islanders may be looking hard at Anaheim defenseman Mathieu Schneider once again. Anaheim is pushing close to the salary cap for the upcoming season and they feel that Schneider will be expendable with the return of Scott Niedermayer. The proposed deal I am hearing is thus:

To NYI: Mathieu Schneider, ANA 3rd Rd Pick 2009
To ANA: Bruno Gervais, NYI 2nd Rd Pick 2009, NYI 2nd Rd Pick 2010

In my opinion, I am completely against this type of deal. Schneider has only a year or two left in him, and he isn't worth giving up those extra draft picks for. He is obviously way past his prime, and if he were to come here, I feel he would underachieve and lose complete interest. I feel that Snow needs to hold on to those draft picks as second rounders in next year's draft are going to be very, very good. As for Gervais, I feel that this year he has a lot to prove. He excelled in the AHL, and this year he needs to prove he can excel in the NHL as well, while staying healthy! Please give me your opinions on how you would feel if a deal like this went down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Schneider is 35-36 and in the final year of his contract. While I don't love Gervais, I would not make this deal. Not giving up a high 2nd round for a low 3rd round. This is not the way to rebuild.