Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Goaltending Part II and Much More

My apologies, as I have been putting off writing this blog for as long as possible. I recently started my summer internship with the District Attorney, and I have been quite busy the first few days at the office. I am an aspiring law student looking to attend law school in New York City in the Fall of 2010, so I figured that this would be an appropriate internship. Lucky for me, it isn’t paid…c’est la vie. Today’s blog will dabble in a few different areas, as I will cover as much ground as possible. First, I will talk about Olivier Roy, the third goaltending prospect in my conversation of all four. The last blog, on Edward Pasquale, should be up by Friday (key phrase: should be!). After that, I will ramble…my favorite!

Now on to the hockey…

Olivier Roy, born July 12th, 1991 is a Canadian ice hockey goaltender that is not related to the ever-famous Patrick Roy. Currently, Olivier plays for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. To start off his bright career in juniors, Roy was awarded for a sensational rookie year with the Raymond Lagace Trophy as the QMJHL Defensive Rookie of the Year, as well as the RDS Cup, which is awarded to the QMJHL Rookie of the Year in any position. This year, Roy returned with another great year, posting a 35-13-0 record, and he helped lead the Screaming Eagles to second place in the Atlantic Division. To top that off, he led all goaltenders in shootout save percentage this year, stopping 14 out of a possible 14 shots, quite impressive, eh?

Technically, Roy is quite the impressive goalie. Gifted with a quick glove and some pretty favorable side-to-side movement, the 6-foot, 165-pound goalie has the ability to develop into a great NHL goalie some day. Although many agree he needs to put on some weight in order to endure the rigors of the NHL, many believe that is merely a formality, as he has the frame to build upon. While his stickhandling is rather decent, he could work on his blocker side, which may be the only flaw worth talking about, and even that is quite miniscule. If all goes well for Roy, it is fair to say he could be taken in the second or third round, which is rather decent for this upcoming draft. Potential Islander material? Time will tell, but he may fall into their laps.

Penguins – Red Wings

I really thought last night was going to be the night that the Red Wings closed it out, and I really thought I was going to be able to write about how amazing my Detroit in six games prediction was, but hey, you win some you lose some. The Penguins played great last night, and they received some phenomenal goaltending from Marc-Andre Fleury to get the win. The breakaway save in the last 2 minutes on Dan Cleary is the biggest save of Fleury’s career thus far, and I am pretty sure Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire made that very clear last night on NBC. With the game heading back to Joe Louis Arena for Game 7, it is very hard to bet against the Wings. The sea of red that will encompass Joe Louis will be quite intimidating for any player to walk into, and we all know just how good Detroit does with that home-ice advantage. Besides the fact I want Bill Guerin to win the cup very badly, I would love nothing more than to see Marian Hossa lose. He is a great player, truly one of the top 10 players in the league and he plays like it every night. However, after giving up a King’s ransom for his services in the 2008 NHL Playoffs, the Penguins were slapped across the face when he left them for a “Stanley Cup Contender” because he wanted to finally win a Stanley Cup. Imagine the shock that would pass through him if he loses in Game 7 to none other than the team he considered “not good enough.” I think this evil comes from the fact that Ryan Smyth left us, and yet, I feel as if the Islanders are in a much better position now than the Colorado Avalanche. Sorry for the harsh words, but they were necessary. Best of lucky Billy, Evgeni, Sidney, and Co.

P.S. – Rob Scuderi’s great play through the playoffs, plus last night’s thigh save, followed by his toe save, must have raised his value about $1 million dollars this offseason. Could he be coming home to the Island? I wouldn’t mind if Garth had him on his radar.

Lighthouse News:

I don’t know about you, but I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the positive write-ups from Chris Botta over at Islanders Point Blank, and I have truly enjoyed reading the conspiracy theories posted by both BD Gallof (http://islandersindependent.com) and Dee Karl (http://7thwoman.blogspot.com ). I love optimism, as I think there is not enough of it, however, isn’t it sad how much we all love a conspiracy?

My take? I think that some things are truly getting done, and it’s about damn time. The fact that there have been several meetings since the “change of vibes” is a good thing. Do I think that Kate Murray is definitely keeping in mind that her election is coming up? You can bet your last dollar that I do. I look forward to seeing what unfolds over the next 90-days, as I feel that we are currently in the most critical portion of the Lighthouse development. I will do my best to keep providing any information I hear about, but I can guarantee you that I am not your best source. Make sure to check out Nick Giglia’s “Let There Be Lighthouse” blog (http://lettherebelighthouse.blogspot.com ). He maintains an excellent website on everything that is the Lighthouse.

Roy Boe

Lastly, just a final farewell to Roy Boe, original owner of the New York Islanders, and the man credited with hiring “The Architect,” Mr. Bill Torrey. Although I was not alive when he was in his position of power, I am sure all of us Islander fans thank him for bringing Islanders hockey to Long Island, and we sure as hell thank him for Bill Torrey and four years of unmatched pride from 1979-1983. May you rest in peace.

No comments: